Tuesday, November 26, 2013

"Shells" (Edward Weston photo set 1)

I have selected Edward Weston as my photographer of choice for a research assignment. I am currently in the phases of taking pictures through what I determined his style to be. In my photographs, my focus is on a single organic subject, such as a shell or food, shot in black and white against a solid black background. My aim is to bring out the textures and lines of the subjects in my photographs. Weston shot with a low exposure value, which I have also done in order to capture his particular style. The subjects fill most of the frame of the photograph. This is the first set of 6 photographs of the project, titled "Shells".

















9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on shooting with a black background and filling the whole frame with the shells. The contours and textures of the shell are quite visible but your pictures could be more successful if you tried to edit the pictures to make the lines and details even more obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon, you do a great job at imitating Edward Weston. I like the shell concept. You really capture their lines and textures. The black and white makes them look elegant. Something that I would be interested to see, is cropping the photos out a little more so there is more black to give it a framed look. Also some of your pictures are a little dark. Be careful of the brightness when you're editing. Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These shots are amazing. The subjects are interesting and you capture your artists work perfectly. The colors really allow us to fully see all the cracks and nooks of the shells. My only note would be maybe try objects other than shells, like fruits or vegetables. Great job simon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how the background is black. it really makes the shells and textures stand out. theres a lot of detail in all of the photos but the lighting of the first shell is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. good job. i love the background on these. i also like how the shell stands out so well in every picture. the contrast is great. i hope you do more like this in the future because these are a real pleasure to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The contrast between the Shells and the background make the texture on the shells really stand out. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this batch Simon. I like the way the background and the darker lighting impacted the way the shell looked and brought out certain features more. The last one was my favorite and I liked how the crack showed up more with the shadows. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice set of photos Simon. You do a very good job of capturing your organic subjects.

    ReplyDelete